Written By Anoop Nain
Technology has truly enveloped our lives. Besides humans, it has come to aid several different fields. including pet ownership. With pet owners, one can see the difference. Technology is increasingly being used to help monitor the everyday lifestyle and health of your pet. This has come to be the relief of many owners as the early signs and symptoms of diseases and disorders can now be easily detected.
In the recent times, there have been several gadgets that have come in handy when you have pets. From trackers to feeders and games, there are several options to choose from depending on the needs of your animals.
So what are some of the best gadgets out there for pet owners?
1. Whistle Go Explore Health and Location Tracker
The Whistle Go trackers are an excellent option for your four-legged friend. It helps you monitor their location at all times and is even waterproof to avoid any damage. It utilizes Wi-Fi, GPS and other cellular networks to provide an accurate location for your pet while working on a nationwide tracking system. The tracker can even send important alerts using email, text or through the app.
The app that comes along with the Whistle Go tracker provides the following features:
- Track the sleeping patterns of your pet dog or cat
- Setting daily activity goals
- Providing activity graphs
- Tracking the progress
- Collate information about any changed behaviour
The app requires a monthly subscription. While the Whistle Go Explore tracker $130, the basic model, Whistle Go, will set you back by $100.
2. The Smart Feeder by PetNet
As a pet parent, one often worries about feeding in the right quantity. This smartphone-connected feeder is available for both cats and dogs. It monitors the dietary needs of your pet and develops a customized feeding regimen for it. Built-in features add extra boosts.
- It sends alerts when your pet has been fed as well as if you are running out of food.
- You can manually alter the feeding schedule in real time. This can be done via laptop and mobile phone.
- You can also monitor the calorie-intake of your pet using the PetNet tracker.
- It features a food sensor, micro USB power etc
- PetCube Play 2 Smart Pet Camera
Oftentimes, you might have to leave your pet unattended for a couple of hours in the house. For indoor pets, this can be hazardous. The PetCube Play 2 Camera allows you to interact with your pet through your smartphone. The built-in Alexa is triggered by motion and sound which lets the owner find out what they are up to.
There is also a two-way audio line which enables owners to speak to them as well.
Some of the best features of the PetCube are:
The interactive pet-safe laser. This laser can be controlled through your cell. It can be aimed at any point in the room and the laser will follow that instruction.
- This is a great gadget for exercising your pet when you are away
- It is a smart-phone camera with an interactive game that lets you keep your pet engaged
This one is for all the aspiring videographers and vloggers out there. The GoPro Fetch is a collar tag that attaches itself to a GoPro camera. As a pet owner, you can mount the camera on your pet and watch the world from their viewpoint.
It can also be used additionally for finding out where the pet has been or what kind of situations they’ve been in.
The GoPro Fetch comes with the following features:
- The harness can be mounted on the back as well as on the chest thereby allowing more freedom
- It is washable by machine
- They are available in a number of sizes that fit most breeds.The chest mount is removable for smaller dogs
- iFetch Interactive Ball Launcher
This one is for all the dogs that love to play fetch. Sometimes, as a pet owner, you are occupied in other tasks or are simply not at home. In these situations, this iFetch ball launcher is a great gadget to go for. It allows your dog to play to its heart’s content.
Once the tennis balls are placed on the launcher, it can throw it around 10 to 40 feet. Larger dogs have bigger ones to play with while for smaller breeds, the size of the balls can vary.
Some of the other features include:
- It works on both battery and main power
- It can be used both inside and outside giving the user plenty of flexibility.
- Agon Cozy Vest
Sometimes pets are very disturbed by loud noises. These can be firecrackers, thunder or any other in those ranks. Often you will find them getting aggressive, scared or protective. For soothing them, this Agon Cozy Vest is the perfect addition as a parent. No training or medication is needed for this product and the results are extraordinary.
Some of the important features include:
- The vest comes with built-in music and chamomile and lavender essential oils to relax your pet
- It is adjustable so you can understand the right pressure
- It helps not just for noises but for dealing with separation, anxiety, going for vet-visits etc.
- They are known to be extremely useful for rescue dogs and cats
- Furbo Interactive Dog Camera
Much like the PetCube Play 2 Smart Pet Camera, this interactive dog camera is a gadget that works on the same principles. The independent device comes with a built-in camera which lets the owner leave their dog unattended without having to worry.
Additionally, the following features make it slightly different from the one listed above.
- There is a two-way audio device which allows two-way communication
- There is a treat dispenser for anytime you want to give your pet a small snack
- This can be monitored through your smartphone and laptop
- SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap
This one is specially designed for your feline. If you have an outdoor cat, the SureFlap cat flap is possibly one of the best gadgets you can invest in. It allows your pet to enter the house while leaving all the other strays outside. The flap utilizes RFID technology to read your cat’s ID microchip to allow this movement.
Some of the other features include:
- The SureFlap can identify a total of upto 32 identities hence it is very good at keeping strays away.
- Collar tags are also sold but separately which can be programmed according to your cat that don’t have microchips
- The flap works with 9,10 and 15-digit microchip numbers. They can be checked with the pet shelter or vet in case it is unknown.
As mentioned, technology is truly changing the life of the pet owner. Not just in terms of keeping our loved ones entertained and happy but also to monitor their health and any signs of danger. The pet technology industry has been witnessing a massive surge in terms of customers as well as newer innovations that are aimed to make the parent’s as well as the pet’s life easier. From various tracking devices to toys, the new-age gadgets are truly a great addition for all.
Anoop Nain is a Content Consultant. He is also a proud father of four rescued dogs and two Flemish giant rabbits. Besides being a full-time dog father and rabbit home planner, he is a freelance content writer and an educationist, with more than 6 years’ experience in the field of content writing.