Photo by wallpaperscraft.com
By Rawson Jahan
When we were children it seemed as if our moms could fix anything for us. From warm cookies on cold rainy days to putting together a last minute T-rex costume so you could outshine the other kids, moms are always there, putting us ahead of themselves.
And sometimes we tend to forget that, especially during our adolescent years when it seems like all a mom can say is “no.” But let us remember the times she stayed up with us to finish all those college apps, purchased us tickets to our favorite concert and liked our profile picture when we really thought we were not going to get any likes.
So on this Mother’s Day, give your mom, your grandma or whoever that special role model is in your life, a call. Tell her you love her, and wish her the very best. And if you want to do just a bit more or have some time to spare, here are some ideas in a range of budgets:
1. Take her to Brunch and then to a Butterfly Garden.
Sarabeth’s and the Butterfly Conservatory at the American Museum of Natural History are some good options to check out. Plus if you’re a student, there’s a sweet discount ($17) at the conservatory!
2. If she hates the outdoors, skip that and take her shopping. Maybe get her a new pair of shoes, an Alex and Ani bracelet or even an entire outfit if you have the budget for it.
3. Paint Night!
Yes, it is a thing! What better way to reminisce the times you were a kid, and you painted with your mom? Also, some paint nights are “bring your own drink” (if you are 21).
4. Take a baking or cooking class with her.
5. Soul Cycle is the new “trendy” exercise, and it is a lot of fun! Get in a workout and then get some green smoothies if your mom is a health-nut like you.
6. Treat her to a girl’s day at the spa.
7. Or the Salon to change up her look and make her feel amazing.
8. Take her to Dave & Buster’s or any other arcade and have a mother-daughter or mother-son competition!
9. Enjoy the cherry blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and have a picnic.
10. Make her breakfast in bed of her favorite dish.
This never fails, and if you are a horrible cook, have a good laugh. Bond over burnt chicken, then take her to her favorite restaurant!
11. Go on a hike, or explore different paths you have not seen before.
At Caumsett State Park, you can go fishing, explore nature trails and even visit the hidden beach.
12. If you can not make it home this weekend because of finals, worry not. There are other things you can do! Send her a bouquet of flowers or an edible arrangement, and she will never forget the effort.
13. Email her a video you made of all the photos and past clips you and her have together. Add a poem you wrote yourself at the end of the video.
13. Go back to all the places she took you to when you were a kid, and make new memories. (Bring a Polaroid with you too.)
14. Make dad or someone else take her out and then decorate her entire room with flower cut-outs, the words “Happy Mother’s Day” and a drawing you found from your elementary school years.
15. Lastly, call her, and tell her you love her!